[Kde-pim] Creating remote branch called HEAD corrupts remote clones

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:02:49 GMT 2011

Hi,

On Friday we had an issue where a developer pushed a branch called HEAD to
the remote server. The result was that other developers could not pull or
push. I have not been able to reproduce the exact issue locally, but this
script shows that the bob clone behaves oddly on each pull. That is a
symptom we saw on Friday. However, bob is still able to push, which we were
not able to. That point could be something to do with how the kde git
infrastructure is configured.

mkdir remote
cd remote/
git init --bare
cd ../
git clone remote/ alice
cd alice/
echo test >> file
git add file
git commit -am w
git push origin master
echo test >> file
git commit -am w
git branch HEAD
git push origin HEAD
git push
cd ..
git clone remote bob
cd bob/
git pull --rebase
echo test >> file
git commit -am w
git push
git pull
git pull
git pull

There were also messages like this:

$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 5, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (3/3), done.
>From /home/kde-devel/dev/src/playground/git/tmp/remote
 + 1434cd2...dd30974 HEAD       -> origin/HEAD  (forced update)
error: Ref refs/remotes/origin/master is at
dd3097498a6c1c5bc73ad1f2ff3b7969a6f6d059 but expected
1434cd2bb9823d2d2b1548c75fdd4ff8b1feddc1
 ! 1434cd2..2fb560d  master     -> origin/master  (unable to update local
ref)

The HEAD branch was created accidentally and the issue was resolved by doing
a git push origin -f :refs/heads/HEAD. Again though, git push -f is not
something all developers are allowed to do on the kde git infrastructure, so
until that was done, the repo was corrupt for everyone.

Shouldn't git forbit the creation of a branch called HEAD? Hopefully the
provided script can lead to the actual issue that caused the corruption of
our repo.

Thanks,

Steve.