[Kde-pim] Re: How Resources and Collections play together

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Jan 14 14:09:51 GMT 2011

On Fri, January 14, 2011 1:37 pm, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> On Friday 14 January 2011 13:04:07 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
>> If I want to have a trash collections for items of various mimetypes, can
>> I create a collection directly from my app, without a resource? I just
>> want to keep the items there for a couple of days and then delete them.
>
> You can create a collection directly from your app, but a collection
> always
> belongs to a resource. For example the trash collection in KMail is owned
> by
> the maildir resource, and some IMAP resources also have trash collections.
>
>> Would it make sense to create a trash resource, which accepts all kinds
>> of
>> mimetypes, and deletes the items after a configured time, or is that not
>> the purpose of resources?
>
> I would somehow prefer having a trash collection in each resource where it
> is
> needed (maildir, IMAP etc). No idea though how that would work with ical
> resources, which only have a single collection right now. Maybe a trash
> resource here would make sense.

It's possible to create multiple ical collections (which implies multiple
ical resources), each collection being stored in a separate calendar file.
So for a trash collection, you could create another ical
resource/collection which would use a different calendar file.

AFAIK it's agents which can't be duplicated, whereas one agent (e.g. ical)
can have multiple resources.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.