[Kde-pim] Usage of standard akonadi collections/resources within different applications

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 6 18:18:43 GMT 2011

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the usage of the collections which are
configured in the KDE Resources dialog in the systemsettings. (sorry for the
lengthy mail)

Background:
I'm working on an app which mixes notes and incidences (todos and events).

You can find a short description and a screenshot here:
http://gitorious.org/notetaker/pages/Home

While i keep notes and incidences in different collections, I use for
incidences the same collection as in KOrganizer, so I have a timebased view in
kcalendar, and a listbased view in my app.
For notes I use the same resource type as kjots (akonotes), but I don't have a
hierarchy with collections (as kjots), since I build the hierarchy using
nepomuk relations. Instead I store all notes directly in the toplevel notes
collection, plus I have a trash collection, where I move deleted notes and
also incidences.

Current Collection Layout:

-KCalResource  <- Incidences
-NotesResource <- Notes
	-Trash <- Notes and Incidences

Questions:
For the Calendar collection there shouldn't be a problem. I can just use the
default collection which is configured in the system settings by default, and
offer a gui to select another collection (Is the one from korganizer reusable?
I couldn't find it).
Korganizer doesn't show newly added todos/events while it's running, but it
works if i restart it. So if there isn't a conceptual problem with two
applications using the same collection, I will just look into korganizer later
on.

Trash Collection:
The trashcollection is currently a subcollection of the notes collection.
I move atm. both notes and incidences to the trash, which is a bit of a hack,
since it it supposed to be a notes only resource (I assume that would also
cause problems once there is an agent for i.e synchronizing notes or feeding
them into nepomuk).

I think I have two options:
-Create a toplevel trashcollection (for notes and incidences):
	Probably the easiest, but the items would not be synchronized by a sync
agent
-Create a trashcollection in the notes collection and the kcalendar
collection:
	While this works with kjots, I don't know how kcalendar would react to a
new subcollection (whose content should be hidden)

Is there a general concept for trashcollections?

Notes collection/resource:
-The current systemconfiguration offers the possibility to configure a "Note"
resource, but instead of an akonotes resource a fileresource for knotes. Will
that eventually be replaced by an akonotes resource?

-If the central configuration is changed to akonotes, I could just use the
"standard" resource per default. But since kjots might use the same resource,
I don't know if this is the way to go since kjots would end up with all notes
created in my app directly in the notes collection (not in "books" aka
subcollections).

So, I think I need to know how the central configuration for KDE Resources is
intendet to be used, or if I have to create a configuration interface myself
(which I'd like to avoid).

Thanks for your comments,

Chris