[Kde-pim] Re: GSOC proposal - Alternative calendar systems

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Fri Feb 11 09:20:26 GMT 2011

Hi John,

On Friday 11 February 2011 00:18:49 John Layt wrote:
> I've been approached by a potential GSOC student who is interested in
> improving the use of alternative calendar systems in KDEPIM, in particular
> recurring events.  You may remember an email I sent back in 2009 outlining
> the issues and a possible solution [1].
>
> The aims of the GSOC would be to research and implement support for:
> * recurring calendar events using alternative calendar systems
> * birthdays and anniversaries using alternative calendar systems
> * display of an alternative calendar system in the calendar views
>
> [While working on the birthdays, they could probably also implement support
> for partial birth dates, e.g. you know someones birthday is on 1 May but
> not what year they were born.]
>
> What do you guys think, good idea or not?  While I would be happy to mentor
> the student, I'd obviously need help on the more technical side of
> KOrganizer/KAddressBook so any volunteers for that?

I like the idea, it is quite important to have different calendar systems
working so that KDEPIM works in those cultures.

As for the partial birthdays, I fully support that, as I'm working(*) on a
Facebook resource, and from the API you quite often get partial birthdays
only, depending on the privacy settings. From discussions with Tobias it looks
like quite some work is needed to this properly, and not as a quick hack.

I can't help much with KOrganizer/KAddressBook myself.

Regards,
Thomas

(*) On hold until I'm done with my master thesis