[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Thu Dec 15 21:38:10 GMT 2011

Am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2011, 21:45:46 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> We don't need GUIDs for every item. We only need them for folders.
> Creating GUIDs for folders will hardly result in a performance problem
> and changing the format of an id shouldn't require massive code changes
> either. Of course, it might require an upgrade mechanism.
>
> The usage of GUIDs is the only sensible solution for external
> references.

I am no expert regarding akonadi. So I'm not sure this covers all kinds of
resources and interaction with clients. But for email it sounds sensible to me
since there is no email without folder.

If I understood Volker correctly introducing the communication of a unique id
to identify the database needs a lot of code changes. Your proposal not. So I
guess that means we have a winner. :-)

Sven