[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Dec 5 21:12:11 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 30 November 2011, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:05:02 PM Milian Wolff wrote:
> > > Looking at the Akonadi mysql database I see that I have 3 large
> > > tables: - parttable:                  587230 rows;
> > > - pimitemflagrelation:                241688 rows;
> > > - pimitemtable:                       294840 rows;
> >
> > I just want to comment on this and leave the rest to the real
> > pimpsters:
> >
> > You say here that this is an outrageous amount of data and that it
> > has to be  slow and what not. That is actually not true. This are
> > just a couple of thousand rows, something that MySQL should handle
> > just fine.
>
> eh? the row count above varies from *two hundred thousand* to *five
> hundred thousand*

Which is at the lower end of what a serious database like MySQL can
handle. MySQL certainly can handle ten million rows easily. Otherwise,
nobody would consider using MySQL.

Dmitry is right that the whole index needs to be in memory because
otherwise the performance of the database will drop dramatically.

Regards,
Ingo