[Kde-pim] Copying mails from IMAP to Local Folders

Christoph Bartoschek bartoschek at gmx.de
Sat Dec 31 23:47:20 GMT 2011

Hi,

for nearly a week now I have been trying to migrate my mails from a pre-akonadi kmail to the new kmail version. Till now all efforts were futile.

- Directly migrating the mails with KDE 4.7.2, 4.7.4 or 4.7.95 does not work. The folders are shown but no mails for the first two versions. KDE 4.6.95 does not manage to copy the mails over to a new local folder structure.

- I then set up an old kmail version and copied my mails to an IMAP server. Now I try to get the mails from the IMAP server to a local folder structure.

-- KDE 4.7.2 and 4.7.2 seem to copy the mails but often attachements are missed. The result is that I cannot trust the result to have proper data.

-- KDE 4.7.95 seems to copy the data. I see it in the akonadi console browser and kmail shows me even the attachements. But in the filesystem the data did not arrive. Although my mails have about 2 GiB the .local/share/.local-mail.directory/ has only 116 kiB. I see that the top-level folder was created. But everything else is missing. (This is still the case after waiting several hours. (With akonadi you never know when an operation is finished))

--- With this limitation I cannot copy the mailbox over to my KDE 4.7.4 system. The 4.7.95 system is only for testing.

So, is there any way to get my mails back so that I can use them with KDE 4.7.4?