[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Mon Dec 12 14:59:32 GMT 2011

Am Montag, 12. Dezember 2011, 13:52:09 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> And it should not have happend. The database should not have given out the
> same id twice.
> Could it be that MySQL now requires a new setting to not reuse unique ids?

Is a two digit number supposed to be unique? What if the database gets
corrupted/removed on purpose and the new one starts again at 1?

So does it currently work like this:

kmail2rc has some settings for [Folder-34] (let's say it's the last folder of
the last ressource)  it gets that "Folder-34" from akonadi. In theory,
removing a resource from akonadi and adding another would then start at
"Folder-35" and hence the settings for "Folder-34" would do no harm.

If that's correct it would explain the current behaviour, because it does not
take into account that the database can be reset. And even more important,
that resetting must not cause any data-loss.

So I'm still guessing that "Folder-xy" is just no good as unique-id if you
cannot guarantee that resetting akonadi's db does also reset kmail2 or any
other client's settings.

Sven