[Kde-pim] [SOLVED] Re: SMTP Send failing on all messages

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Dec 5 21:49:25 GMT 2011

On Thursday 24 November 2011, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 November 2011 6:40:07 PM Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > It was due the Mail Dispatcher agent being offline. I only found
> > this out because someone suggested I install akonadiconsole and
> > check it. I restarted it and everything was fine.
> >
> > Since then Mail Dispatcher agent has put itself offline several
> > times in the past two weeks and there is never any warning or
> > indication this has happened apart from messages failing to send.
> > And it requires akonadiconsole  to restart it.
> >

> > This is not usable for non-tech  users - How is it acceptable that
> > a *crucial* component can randomly and silently be switched off
> > with no feedback and no way for the casual user to fix it.
> >
> > I could never set KMail up for my wife, I'd be continually getting
> > complaints that mail wasn't working
>
> Starting with version 4.7.4, you will be told that mail dispatcher
> agent is offline and then asked if you want to re-start it.  I've
> already seen that in action and it works well.

Does it really mention "mail dispatcher agent"? If yes, then nobody
except for very few Akonadi experts will understand what this is. Don't
ask me for a better wording. I'm a techie. ;-)

Actually, I'd try restarting it automatically at least once unless it
was explicitly switched offline. Why bother the user if the problem can
be resolved without user intervention? (I might be oversimplifying the
problem because I don't know under which circumstances the agent goes
offline for valid reasons.)

Regards,
Ingo