[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Dec 17 18:43:33 GMT 2011

Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> So as Akonadi matures I expect and hope that database removal will not be
> advertised as a fix / work-around on the wiki page anymore except for the
> case where it has been corrupted by hardware issues or user error.
Of course, database removal should be the last resort.

The reason it is advertised is that sometimes migration fails and then it is
hard to recover from that manually. The easiest recovery mode - that should
work for everyone - is to start with a new database. The real recovery would
be to investigate what is wrong and only correct/remove the problematic
parts, but as this can be highly user configuration dependent, there is no
generic solution.

I had my Akonadi database up and running for a long time, and the last time
I removed it was not because it was corrupted, but to see how the software
works with a clean database.

Andras