[Kde-pim] Integrate an open social network into KDE SC

Niels Ole Salscheider niels_ole at salscheider-online.de
Sun Dec 11 18:55:21 GMT 2011

Hello,

> - Facebook chat is based on XMPP (and is the only reason I use it)
> - GTalk is also based on XMPP and even though I know little about
> Google+ I assume they use XMPP too

Sure, I am not talking about XMPP chat, that is already covered by Kopete and
Telepahty and is working great.
[Apart from that, Facebook is not open and even the chat (intentionally) does
not support S2S connections].

> PIM-wise, we could check what do we need to import contacts from Diaspora,
> StatusNet, elgg and any other free-something we can think of.

This covers a first thing that could use further integration.

Of course, we should finally support several (open) social networks and thus
might want to create/reuse some sort of framework. But I think that it would
be a good idea to focus on one or two at the beginning since there is only
limited manpower. And it is probably a good idea not to cause too much
fragmentation of the user base between the open social networks.
If you prefer to start with Diaspora, ... I am fine with that, too. But I think
that there are not that many users on Diaspora either and that a XMPP based
solution (OSW) might get accepted faster once your present XMPP provider
supports it.

Regards,

Ole