[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Dec 1 18:18:44 GMT 2011

Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2011 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> I use KMail 1 from KDE 4.6.5 via IMAP to access my work mail as well,
> but  I learned that I better do not point it at that insane kernel-ml
> folder. Cause it seems that even with its flat index files it is not
> able to cope with it in any reasonable amount of time.

To be fair. That then is via IMAP. And I actually do not know whether the
IMAP protocol was designed with mail folders with 250000+ mails in it in
mind or whether either the server side or client side IMAP implementation
could use some optimization. But still KMail 1 AFAIR also has local
indexes for IMAP and it could at least start showing whats in there while
doing the IMAP update in the background. Oh wait... KMail 2 with Akonadi
could do this. KMail 1 was not designed for offloading that work to the
background.

Accessing local maildir folder kernel-ml for my private mail account with
KMail 1 almost instantly displays mails. But it takes quite some time to
do the threading then and while this typing in there is really sluggish.

Accessing archival mboxes of kernel-ml, like 2010-1 here with about 113000
mails, is almost instant as well. So for sure the index implementation of
KMail 1 seems to do quite well.

But I see no reason why an Akonadi based KMail could not deliver similar
performance.