[Kde-pim] Python Akonadi Resource schemas

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Aug 20 15:55:42 BST 2011

On Saturday, 2011-08-20, Mario Santagiuliana wrote:
> In data 20/8/2011 16:13:11, Kevin Krammer ha scritto:
> > I think it is the first one, good job :)
>
> Great :) ahahah I hope other python developer would start to write some
> resources.

Indeed :)

> I know that is best to create resources in C/C++ language

There is no official preference for any language, it is just that the current
group of Akonadi developers are mostly C++ people and thus use it for their
work.

Ideally we would be joined by groups of developers with other language skills,
potentially each developing and maintaining an Akonadi client library purely
writting in those languages.

> and is better to
> have less external library as possible but for some data or services there
> are no good library written in C o C++ and write a library or resource is
> not simple.

Exactly! Python and similar languages also allow for a faster cycle of
implementing and testing, making them especially interesting for
experiementing with Akonadi.

> An example is google data, the only library written in C is libgcal:
> http://code.google.com/p/libgcal/

There is also libgdata http://live.gnome.org/libgdata

But you are of course right that there are often Python libraries for web APIs
for which there are no equivalent C/C++ ones.

> > > Who can I contact to request documentation on pykde?
> >
> > Probably Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com>, he's the PyKDE maintainer
> > as far  a I know.
>
> I will contact him as soon as possible to understand something about python
> documentation :)

I guess that the PyKDE API docs are actually generated from the documentation
in the C++ headers, so a first step could be adding Python code snippets to
those.

However, it is probably still a good idea to talk to Simon. He recently
blogged about use of Python for Plasma applets and will most certainly like to
hear about PyKDE effectively put to use for other things as well.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring