[Kde-pim] I lose sometimes mail from pop3

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Wed Aug 24 08:02:37 BST 2011

Le Wednesday 24 August 2011 08:00:26 Thomas McGuire a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:58:11 PM laurent Montel wrote:
> > I don't know where is the bug but I lose some mails (not a lot but I lose
> > some email) from pop3.
> > I have all my email on server (I use pop3 + keep message on server)
> > so I can see that some mails is losing.
> >
> > Perhaps a pb when I close kmail (which shutdown resource I configurate my
> > kmail to stop pop3 ressource when I close kmail).
> >
> > I don't know how to reproduce it and how to test it but I know that some
> > email is loosing.
> >
> > Thomas could you look at it I don't know pop3 resource code. but we need
> > fix it.
>
> What are you leave on server settings? Are all messages left on the server
or
> only the last x, y days or z megabytes?
> For debugging this, we need the debug output of the POP3 resource.
>
> I can't think of anything that would cause this if leaving all messages on
the
> server. If you have rules like last x, y days or z megabytes, then there
> probably is a bug in the logic of which mails to select for deletion.
>
> POP3 is a fairly simple protocol (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol), basically it uses the
> following commands in a sequence, which is done all in one big switch
> statement within POP3Resource::doStateStep():
> 2) Listing mails by ID / size
>  C: LIST
>  S: +OK
>     1 2340
>     2 220
>     3 329423
> The first number is the ID, which is not persistant between sessions. The
> second number is the size of the mail. In this case there are 3 mails
> 3) Listing by ID / UID
>  C: UIDL
>  S: +OK
>     1 whqtswO00WBw418f9t5JxYwZ
>     2 aksdjfilsmadv
>     3 0osdifasdkfj
> First number is the ID, second number is the UID (unique ID). The UID is
> persistant across sessions.
> 4) Download mails by IDs
>  C: RETR 1
>  S: +OK
>     <message>
>  C: RETR 2
>  S: +OK
>     <message>
> Here we download all mails we haven't yet downloaded before. To detect which
> mails we have downloaded before, we save the list of already downloaded UIDs
> into a config file.
> 5) Delete mails from server
>  C: DELE 1
>  S: +OK
>  C: DELE 2
>  S: +OK
> In this last step, we delete mails we downloaded from the server and don't
> need on the server anymore, depending on the "leave on server" rules.
> Without sending these commands, no mail is deleted. The function
> [...]

Thanks for all this infos.
But I don't have rules to remove from server.
I leave on server that's all.
I can see email on my server (so I can told you that some emails is loosing)
but I can't find it on my local folder.

So pop3 "told" that email was download (because it doesn't download it) but
don't write on my file system, and don't know why.

Regards.