[Kde-pim] Akonadi openchange

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Aug 1 22:30:53 BST 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 08:14:41 AM Del wrote:
> On Wednesday 27. July 2011 15.55.09 Brad Hards wrote:
> > The exchange RPC protocol is pretty "chatty", and there are a few things
> > that could make a lot of difference to the user experience. I think we
> > really need to support Incremental Change Synchronization (ICS, aka
> > "cached mode") in openchange to make it better for everyone.
>
> Thanks for sharing. I thought both akonadi-openchange and Outlook used
> mapi/rpc. Seems  I was wrong:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2011/06/20/incremental-
> change-synchronization.aspx
I'm not sure exactly how you're defining "mapi/rpc", but the remote operations
described in that blog are Exchange RPC (i.e. they're running over the same
DCE/RPC transport that "normal" remote operations use.

Some versions of outlook use additional or different protocols, but Exchange
RPC (which is roughly equivalent to MAPI calls encoded on the wire if you
squint a bit) is the most common bits.

Brad