[Kde-pim] release blockers?

Thomas Kleindienst t.kleindienst at euro-p.de
Thu Apr 7 17:36:44 BST 2011

As an outsider follwowing the discussion, I want to add some mor "noise" to
the topic (sorry)

I've been using kmail2 since about 4 month. Before reverting back to kmail1
yesterday the last kmail2 version was that of openSuses kdepim 4.6 repo

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=KDE%3AUnstable%3ASC%3Akdepim46

Stability-wise kmail2 has improved a lot lately, but for me it was still not
useable, as it was simply too slow.

e.g. it is syncing the mailfolders quite frequently. During syncing the whole
GUI always became unresponsive and when you have approx. 1.5Gb of mails per
folder syncing takes a while.

Also my complete $home is on an nfs share, which may also be a problem for
kmail2? (when trying with a local $home it did improve, but was still laggy)

But also when it is not syncing, simply switching from one folder to  another
makes kmail2 freeze for half a minute or so before updating the message
listview.

My korganizer config is set up to display 4 additional .ics files readonly
(about 3mb each). With akonadi as a "man in the middle" it really takes a lot
of time until all entries are read in and displayed. If you move one week
further, the calendar view takes 10-20 seconds to refresh.

So the main problem is not stability or loss of data (kmail2 never lost any
mails or calendar entries during the last 4 month), but speed. And it may not
be suited for "business use" as it seems it does not work well with nfs-
shares.