[Kde-pim] Re: kdepim-4.6 ?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Apr 12 07:06:13 BST 2011

On Monday, 2011-04-11, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 07 April 2011, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > Apart from that I have to admit that I can work with the current
> > KDEPIM 4.6 RPMs provided for OpenSUSE. In Kontact/KMail it takes me
> > some additional effort here and there to accomplish a task (compared
> > to the kdepim 4.4 version) and often valuable seconds to wait. But I
> > haven't found a show stopper yet. OTOH I have a completely different
> > use case at home, using almost only KMail with POP3. There I'm not
> > keen on a migration before things have settled quite a while
> > (especially after reading about potential problems with POP3
> > support).
> >
> > What I'm not sure about is how does the migration deal with the data
> > from the old version? Are they deleted, or do I need to clean up
> > some directories afterwards?
>
> It depends on what kind of accounts you migrate and on your choice in
> the migration dialog (with respect to keeping the old disconnected IMAP
> cache; although this might have changed during the last Osnabrück
> meeting; I'm not sure; I remember that we discussed to remove the
> question to keep the cache because no user will be able to make an
> educated choice).

Correct, that question is gone.
Importing cached messages from DIMAP account simply took way to long, so DIMAP
migration now only imports messages which have not yet been synced with the
server.

However, additionally to creating the new IMAP resources the migrator also
creates an "adapter" resource for the old KMail version's DIMAP cache, i.e.
the previouly downloaded files are still directly accessible in KMail and can
be deleted from there.

This allows for example to read such emails even if the migration happens at a
time when the computer cannot reach the target servers or when the user no
longer has access to the server (e.g. in my case the cache of my univeristy
account which obviously expired years ago).

> For local mail (e.g. downloaded via POP3) the old index files are thrown
> away after the migration. The data files (i.e. the mboxes or maildir
> directories) are re-used by the local mail resource.

The index files are basically treated read-only so the first modification to
such a folder makes them out-of-date and thus not used any longer.
Until such a modification the resource will be able to read and apply any
index data just like KMail did.

> For online IMAP the cache is thrown away (I think). Kevin?

Not thrown away as in deleted from disk. But online IMAP did cache headers
only, so that shouldn't be too much waste of disk space.
We might be able to deliver a cleanup procedure for those header caches as an
update script in a future version though.

> For disconnected IMAP it depends. (Or maybe not anymore; see above.)
> Kevin?

Available as a top level entry (like a account in its own) in KMail, which sub
folders for each DIMAP account.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring