[Kde-pim] Re: Akonadi item.h + clang

Bertjan Broeksema broeksema at kde.org
Sat Apr 30 20:54:04 BST 2011

Hi,

Although I didn't try compiling Qt with clang myself yet, yes clang seems to
mature. It has been used already to compile at least Qt. See the also the
blog posts of Diego Iastrubni on planet KDE:

http://elcuco2.blogspot.com/2011/04/qt-clang-it-compiles.html
http://elcuco2.blogspot.com/2011/04/clangqtqtcreator-binary-package.html

Cheers,

Bertjan

Patrick Ohly wrote:

> On Sa, 2011-04-16 at 11:26 +0200, Volker Krause wrote:
>> On Wednesday 13 April 2011 10:21:52 Patrick Ohly wrote:
>> > The reason is that clang++, in contrast to g++, already does error
>> > checking on the template while compiling the template, not when it is
>> > instantiated.
>>
>> Interesting, is clang already able to compile the entire KDE stuff, ie.
>> is this the only problem you encountered? I always hear it has a much
>> more sophisticated analyzing and optimizing system than GCC, and this
>> case confirms that obviously, but I so far had the impression it's not
>> able to compile Qt and KDE code yet. Looks like this has changed though
>> :)
>
> I only tried to use the header files. I haven't tried to compile KDE or
> Qt with it.
>
> I switched to clang++ as my main compiler because it generates much
> better error messages. Compile runs also were faster. I had to fix a few
> things in SyncEvolution (indeed not quite valid C++ before, although it
> worked with g++) and -Wall -Werror required some more changes because of
> more and/or different warnings.
>
> --
> Bye, Patrick Ohly
> --