[Kde-pim] Re: Opening kdepim master for feature commits, branching kdepim 4.6

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Apr 21 16:27:49 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-04-21, David Jarvie wrote:
> The hard feature freeze for KDE 4.7 is now only 3 weeks away, but as far
> as I understand, kdepim master is still frozen pending a kdepim 4.6
> release. If it is still intended to issue kdepim 4.6, kdepim needs to be
> branched very soon so that master can be opened up for feature commits
> before the 4.7 deadline runs out.

Since we are out of sync with the rest of KDE anyway, I don't think the common
release cycle dates apply to use in any meaningful way.

But since the topic of branching came up:

do we want to continue to do feature development in master?
or more precisely in the branch we release from?

Given how separated our components become once this transition is finally done
(e.g. KOrganizer no longer depending on KMail for Kolab access), we might want
to consider a strategy more like the Linux kernel's staging branches and merge
windows.

I.e. so that we can always release on time because we don't merge anything
that hasn't reached RC status yet.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring