[Kde-pim] Re: ktimetracker and negative times - is this intended? because there are quite some problems with that

thorsten at staerk.de thorsten at staerk.de
Sat Apr 16 08:57:57 BST 2011

> In ktimetracker, if you edit a task, you can enter negative times in the
> duration field - and even the example near the input box shows such a
> thing.
> It seems that this generates events, w/ a start time, no end time, and
> some
> specific property.
> But, there are problems:
> * that property is never read and used
> * tasks having such an event will automatically start at load time even
> though they shouldn't (that's what I think and almost tested that it
> happens)
> * such events are displayed in the history dialog as having an end time
> equal to start time (you're not shown the info about the negative time)
> * deleting from history such an event, is incorrectly recomputing total
> task
> time - I think it is summing the rest of the events - and not by looking
> at
> that duration property
> * the DBus functions are *not* allowing negative times for the same kind
> of
> change
>
> So... please let me know what was/is the intention regarding accepting or
> not negative times.

As discussed on chat, ktimetracker is event-based. It can hold todos and
events. I use todo and task synonymously. An event holds a task, a start
time and an end time. With version 4 you can edit your history (meaning
you can change the start and end time of an event). This means there must
be an opportunity to re-calculate the "total time" of every task after you
are finished editing the history. This lead to my decision that the "total
time" should be the sum of all events' duration.
Now, to be able to subtract time from a task, you will need an event with
a negative duration.