[Kde-pim] Re: Branch startegy for KDE PIM in Git

Grégory Oestreicher greg at kamago.net
Tue Apr 26 18:22:31 BST 2011

Hi,

Le mardi 26 avril 2011 15:13:21, Torgny Nyblom a écrit :

> *"release" branches:
> Mush like they have always been, branched off master when a release is near
> and then open for fixes only.

What would be the problem with having release branches branched off master
just after a major release (major being 4.x, or 5.x, or…) with the next
version number. Let's say that 4.6.0 has been released, and master is tagged
with this. We branch 'next-release' from here and can start adding new
features in it. This branch should always be compilable, but that's about it.

When we are nearing a release date, such as after the soft feature freeze, we
branch the next release from this branch (say we create '4.7.0' from 'next-
release') and only bug fixes can go in there. The 'next-release' branch is
always open for new features.

Once we deem 4.7.0 ready we merge it back into master and tag it for release.

For bug fixes releases I think a branch can be created from the latest bug fix
release (we create 4.6.1 from 4.6.0 and 4.6.2 from 4.6.1, etc.). Once the
release is ready a new tag is created.

Cheers,
Grégory