[Kde-pim] Re: lead for GSoC proposal on HTML support to KMail

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Fri Apr 1 00:57:21 BST 2011

Hi,

On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 06:52:18 PM Sudhendu Roy wrote:
> Me and Torgny Nyblom discussed it on IRC too. Torgny was quiet happy with
> the idea of preserving the code and add an editor for enriched text. We
> can/should give user to choose between the type of message (plain/enriched)
> he want to receive. This can be handled by TemplateParser.

What do you mean give the user the choice when receiving a message? The sender
decides on the format, usually it is multipart/alternative, which means it
includes both HTML and plain text, and the mail client can chose which of
those to display. KMail already has an option for that.
We might need some sort of option to disable HTML replies/forwards. Adding
that would be a good opportunity to clean up other HTML-related options.
The Templateparser should produce a multipart/alternative message with both a
HTML part and a plain text part. I am kinda wondering if we need the
templateparser to create a temporary message at all, maybe we can change it so
that it directly puts the text into the composer window. I don't know which of
the options would be easier though.

BTW, text/enriched is actually a third type of mail, with rich text
formatting, though I think nobody really supports it. To avoid confusion, say
HTML instead of enriched :)

Regards,
Thomas