[Kde-pim] Why so many instances of resources / agents running?

Gregory Schlomoff gregory.schlomoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 08:31:50 BST 2010

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback on my last mail. One of the main
things I learned is that I should not hesitate to ask questions, so here it
goes:

Why so many agents?

I have just killed all kde / akonadi related processes, built kdepim from
the latest revision, and started KMail. I now have the following processes:

- 10 instances of akonadi_contacts_resource.exe,  each taking 26MB of RAM.
- 2 instances of akonadi_ical_resource.exe
- 2 instances of akonadi_maildir_resource
- 1 instance of akonadi_imap_resource
- 1 instance of akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
- And a bunch of other stuff (the usual akonadi_control + akonadi_server, 2
nepomuk-related processes, etc...)

So all this is taking quite a lot of memory (roughly 400 MB), but what
I really don't understand are the 10 instances
of akonadi_contacts_resource.exe, given that I haven't configured anything
save from my GMail IMAP account.

Is that normal? Or is it a bug? In the latter case, what steps could I take
to debug it?

Thanks

Greg