[Kde-pim] Akonadi conflict resolve dialog is not user friendly

Tobias König tokoe at kde.org
Fri Sep 10 14:47:37 BST 2010

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 23:36:15 David Jarvie wrote:
Hej David,

> While testing KAlarm, the Akonadi conflict resolve dialog popped up
> repeatedly.
Sounds mostly like a bug somewhere, unhidden by the conflict detection.

> A poor user being presented with it would probably stand no chance, since
> it has no useful caption, and no explanation as to what it means.
Ok, should be improved. Feel free to add descriptive labels, the code is in
kdepimlibs/akonadi/conflictdetection

> It just displayed the raw iCalendar text of some calendar items -
Hmm, then something is wrong, it should actually load the serializer plugin
for the mimetype of this item and access its AbstractDifferencesAlgorithm
interface (if it provides one)... Well, the kcal serializer plugin should
provide one, maybe you are using the kcalcore serializer plugin? That doesn't
provide the interface yet afaik, but the code should be possible to copy 1:1
from the kcal serializer plugin.

> Given the lack of context, the option button texts are also
> meaningless.
Yepp, feel free to improve :)

> It isn't obvious to me how it could be changed, since it very likely isn't
> possible to present the data in an understandable way since that would
> require the data's meaning to be interpreted.
That's exactly what the additional interface in the serializer plugins is for.
It will present a graphical diff of the objects (well, this could be improved
as well ;))

Ciao,
Tobias