[Kde-pim] Re: KDEPIM 4.5beta4?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Sep 27 21:08:20 BST 2010

On Monday 27 September 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 27 Sep 2010 13:50:17 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 26. September 2010 16:10:57 schrieb Torgny Nyblom:

> > According to Cornelius, it was a decision that the KDEPIM (group)
> > took to call the (main) product "Kontact".

> > > and kdepimlibs and soon kdepim-runtime :)
> >
> > I support the decision because a main obstacle for more users
> > of our group's products is communication.
> >
> > Kontact with its frontends for Mail, Calendar, Contacts and so on
> > is much more than a manager for personal information,
> > it can be a groupware.
>
> I'm perfectly happy that Kontact was chosen as the name for the
> product.  It's just that I think of the developers as Pimsters, or
> whatever, but not, ever and KDEPIM, which is not, to me, a human
> term.  However, in the end, it will make little difference, I guess.

My impression was that it's "The KDE PIM community" and not just "KDE
PIM" (as opposed to KDE where KDE implies community). For me "KDE PIM"
is the technical term for everything we do which starts with Akonadi and
ends with Kontact, while Kontact is the marketing term for (almost)
everything we do which, coincidentally (or not ;-) ), is included in our
main product, the KDE PIM suite Kontact.

http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM speaks of us as the "KDE PIM team" or
the "KDE PIM community". (Disclaimer: I have written at least part of
the text. So, it's not surprising that "our" self-description coincides
with my view on things.)

Regards,
Ingo