[Kde-pim] Why so many instances of resources / agents running?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Sep 22 14:06:01 BST 2010

Hi Greg,

On Monday, 2010-09-20, Gregory Schlomoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to everyone for the great feedback on my last mail. One of the main
> things I learned is that I should not hesitate to ask questions, so here it
> goes:
>
> Why so many agents?

Bug :)

> I have just killed all kde / akonadi related processes, built kdepim from
> the latest revision, and started KMail. I now have the following processes:
>
> - 10 instances of akonadi_contacts_resource.exe,  each taking 26MB of RAM.
> - 2 instances of akonadi_ical_resource.exe
> - 2 instances of akonadi_maildir_resource
> - 1 instance of akonadi_imap_resource
> - 1 instance of akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
> - And a bunch of other stuff (the usual akonadi_control + akonadi_server, 2
> nepomuk-related processes, etc...)
>
> So all this is taking quite a lot of memory (roughly 400 MB), but what
> I really don't understand are the 10 instances
> of akonadi_contacts_resource.exe, given that I haven't configured anything
> save from my GMail IMAP account.

Some of these, i.e. one akonadi_contacts_resource and one
akonadi_ical_resource, are created by a mechanims called "FirstStart".
It basically creates a common default setup for a PIM environment (one address
book, one calendar).
This is configurable by simple text based files in
PREFIX/share/apps/akonadi/firstrun.

The akonadi_maildir_resource is a dependency of the
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent (default outbox and sent-file folders).
Which in turn gets started because its .desktop file tells Akonadi to
autostart it (see PREFIX/share/akonadi/agents).

The two Nepomuk agents also get autostarted IIRC.

Now, having so many of some of these is almost certainly a bug if you haven't
explicitly added more of them.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring