[Kde-pim] Re: Kontact Mail Speed (Re: Showstoppers in KMail)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Sep 30 16:06:41 BST 2010

On Tuesday 28 September 2010 13:38:06 Tobias König wrote:
> > > 1) Performance: KMail/Akonadi/Virtuoso 4.5 is really slow for my
> > > pop3+localmaildir setup here.
> >
> > Are you using Virtuoso as Akonadi backend or with nepomuk?
> > If so, what about trying other backends, especially sqlite or mysql?
>
> I'm using mysql as Akonadi backend and Virtuoso as Nepomuk backend.

So how does Nepomuk performance affect your Kontact Mail usage
in particular? Is it system load, or address completion or search?
Or something else, I mean you could switch it off I guess.

> > For Kontact Mobile we will most likely recommend sqlite only
> > for the backend.
>
> For Akonadi or Nepomuk? While using sqlite might make sense on mobile
> platform with certain constraints, using MySQL and Virtuoso on the desktop
> is perfectly fine. Bertjan showed in some performance tests, that sqlite is
> not as fast as MySQL with huge amount of data.

For Akonadi. We are following up on some of Bertjan's results and there is a
chance to speed sqlite up and to get more data about usage that is more close
to real usage patterns. This is still developing of course.

For Nepomuk, I wish we also could use sqlite. But this would require
to revive the redland backend and develop a better sqlite adapter for it.
It seems doable, but it is a question of how much work effort it will take.

> > I am unsure what I would have wanted here. The 40 messages are not in
> > INBOX anymore after filtering, so the message is correct: Only three (of
> > the) new message are in inbox.
> > You might have 30 new emails in a different folder and 7 which are dumped
> > because of the spam. So with an extra message: 30 new mails in folder X,
> > this would be more what I would have wanted.
>
> So we have to fix kmail2 to really show all collections with new messages.

Is there a bugs.kde.org entry for this? I mean if this is a showstopper
for you, maybe we can convince someone to fix it. ;)

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998