[Kde-pim] How can we improve Akonadi documentation?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Sep 15 09:36:24 BST 2010

On Wed, September 15, 2010 8:38 am, Gregory Schlomoff wrote:

> So what can we do to improve the quality of the documentation?

Having been in a similar position to you in recent times, converting an
application to use Akonadi, I can recognise your experience. There are a
lot of places where the documentation is pretty perfunctory, or lacks
sufficient overview, or omits the vital hints and tips which are necessary
in order understand how things fit together and how to make things work.

I would urge all developers to add to or amend the documentation (even
just by a few words) whenever they manage to work out something which
wasn't clear - this could over time really improve things. (If you don't
have SVN commit access, send the updates to this mailing list.)

But what could really help would be for some kind volunteers with a good
understanding of Akonadi to spend some time scouring the documentation,
filling in the bits which are missing and which novice users wouldn't
know. I know that doing this would divert time which could be spent on
other more exciting things, but it does seem a pity that after so much
time spent developing a really useful service, a bit more can't be spent
making it more readily usable by others. Time spent on this would in the
end save much more time for others.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.