[Kde-pim] distribution lists

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Thu Sep 23 18:18:33 BST 2010

On Thursday, September 23, 2010 03:44:31 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 23 Sep 2010 10:59:07 eddie wrote:
> > >
> > > lists>
> > > Did you ever get any answers to this?
> >
> > No. As far as I can tell this is the first response. Pretty
disappointing
> > actually. As I can't believe that I'm the only one wanting to use
> > distribution lists and for me it was quite important.
> >
> > Before I joined the list I couldn't get it working. Googling I got
the
> > impression that it was work in progress.  Hence my question.
>
> Distribution lists didn't work at all when the new KAddressBook was
first
> launched.  As a work-around it was possible to have a distribution
list in
> your addressbook, display the names in the addressbook (in the
right-hand
> panel) and copy/paste into the address field of a message.  Not
good, but it
> worked.
>
> About 3 months ago the developers got distribution lists working for
4.5, and
> soon after backported the fix for 4.4, but not all distros have
included that
> backport.  I don't know the situation in OpenSUSE.
>
> By the way, if you do use distribution lists, be careful about
listing names
> Lastname(comma)Firstname - the commas confuse the system.
>
> Anne
> --
> KDE Community Working Group
> New to KDE Software? - get help from http://userbase.kde.org

Anne: I am on KDE 4.5 and the distribution lists still do not work
totally. I can create a list from Kmail (1.13.5) by adding the
addressees, then clicking save list. I save it to a distribution
address book in contacts.At present I have five lists. I can select
them in kmail and send with them. The problems arise when I go into a
contact and change an email address. It get updated in most places
including Kmail  akonadi-resources. But not always in the distribution
list. Usually I have to recreate the whole list to fix it. I will
admit I have not made any corrects since creating the lists that just
disappeared earlier this week.

The above is not the major issue for me, its more of a pain. My major
issue has to do with a list of many people where there are two
different people that use the same email address:

Select new message, add recipients to To: entries:
	To: Nayda Littlefield <littlegb at bossig.com>
	To: PDG Greg Littlefield <littlegb at bossig.com>
click save list:

after doing the save list it becomes (with in the distribution list):

Actual Results:
	Nayda Littlefield littlegb at bossig.com
	Nayda Littlefield littlegb at bossig.com

Expected Results: New List with:
	To: Nayda Littlefield <littlegb at bossig.com>
	To: PDG Greg Littlefield <littlegb at bossig.com>

If I use the original To: list, it sends fine. If I use the
distribution list, Nayda gets two emails addressed to her. This also
happened in 4.4 versions I I did report it to the KDE Bug
Tracker(247886). Aug 14,2010. As far as I can tell its never been
looked at.

Appears to be bug in Kmail 1.13.5 not Akonadi.

Any Ideas on how to get this fixed? I send out a Newsletter each month
and have to take special steps for about 10 pairs those above.

Thanks

--
Russ