[Kde-pim] On relicensing

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Sep 18 15:47:07 BST 2010

Allen, thanks for starting that Relicensing approval thread on -pim. I don't
know what triggered it, but it looks reasonable. I'll put in a few comments,
though:

- do you strictly note which work you've done with which hat on in the KDE
codebase? if so, I'd expect copyright headers like the following:

	Copyright 2010 by Allen Winter <your.email at kde.org>
	Copyright 2010 by KDAB <contact.email at kdab>
		Author Allen Winter

at least in files you've touched in both capacities. The former because it's
you, the latter because your work - work is owned by KDAB (assuming fairly
standard contract terms). However, you may retain some rights of authorship in
the code -- that why we'd ask you to put in an Author line as well.

- do you have an FLA on file with the KDE e.V.?
- is all the code you have written with your personal hat on in kde-pim thus
far under the GPL (any version?) That would make the blanket relicense grant
easier to execute.

- it would be easiest if you marked those parts / files where your contribution
is to be LGPL as such: that is, you would end up with

	<copyrights>

	<gpl license information>

	The portion of this file which is copyright Allen Winter may be licensed
under the LGPL. The file as a whole remains under the GPL.

- There's some tricky issues, perhaps, on whether you are even able to make
the declaration you're making: after all, if your work is a derivative of
something else which was GPL licensed, then clause 2b (GPLv2) says you must
choose the GPLv2 as the license. But that's just me finding annoying corner
cases, not something relevant right now. Nonetheless, I'm going to check with
the lawyers.

So all in all, good to have this on file.

[ade]