[Kde-pim] 77862, kio_imap process doesn't hang anymore

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Sep 23 21:09:06 BST 2010

On Friday 27 August 2010, Guy Maurel wrote:
> Hello !
>
> As you know, the 3.rd most hatted bug is #77862.
>
> Jaime means, as I ask ihm, I should ask you also to get your opinion.
>
> I have solve the bug, make a mail in the kdepim-mailing-list on July, the
> 11th., with the subject:
>    "yaps for 77862,  kio_imap process doesn't hang anymore"
>
> Untill now, I only get an answer from Ingo Klöcker, who wrote me
>   "I have not reviewed the patch"
>
> and from Thomas Mcguire, who as no more time to test it before he step down
> his job as maintainer.
>
> As this bug got many blames (because nobody had time to solved it), I made
> much efforts to find a solution for it.
> Untill now, I don't found anybody would say "it is good".
>
> I will be very lucky to find such a person(s), who could help us to
> successfully close together the bug.

[moving this discussion back to the list]

I understand how frustrating this must be, but you're in the unlucky time
window where there is indeed no maintainer for this version of the code,
apparently.
I don't know the pop/imap code so I can't review this myself. However I'm
surprised that so much machinery is needed to detect networking problems:
surely all applications out there using sockets, don't poll the network
interfaces of the machine to find out if they lost connection to the internet
(or changed IP). But thinking in that direction leads to finding out exactly
why it hangs. Looking in the thread I don't see anyone actually investigating
the cause for the bug? Some blocking read in the slave without any timeout?

Other ioslaves don't hang, so these must be doing something different. Well ok
they are used differently (connected mode vs non-connected mode), but still, I
would suspect that if kio_http hanged, konqueror would wait forever...

I would say this is the main reason why nobody was able to review this: it
provides a "solution" without determining what the problem really is...