[Kde-pim] How can we improve Akonadi documentation?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Sep 15 12:42:22 BST 2010

Hi Greg,

On Wednesday, 2010-09-15, Gregory Schlomoff wrote:
> Hello Stephen,
>
> I would also strongly encourage you to help write the docs you are missing
>
> > by asking the questions and the rest of us giving the answers. Many of us
> > are too deep into it that we don't see the high-level overview issues as
> > you
> > say.
> >

> > I think asking it would help if people like yourself would ask the
> > highlevel
> > questions here or on IRC and maintain a list of answers or a getting
> > started
> > page. In many cases we don't even know the questions.
>
> Sure. As soon as I get myself started (ie: as soon as I'm able to create a
> collection in Akonadi, which isn't the case, yet), I'll submit a piece of
> "getting started" doc for reviewal to this mailing list.

Awesome!

> > Also, please don't spend hours confused about something :). Ask here or
> > on irc within an hour instead of being confused. There's a lot of
> > difficult things in the API because it's all asynchronous, a bit
> > abstract, there's several channels of communication like imap/dbus,
> > heavily relies on platformy/funny things like mimetypes and desktop
> > files etc, and it can be hard to know where standards end and extensions
> > begin. Everyone hits a few brick walls at the start.
>
> Yes. I found people on this mailing list and on IRC to be incredibly
> supporting. I guess the main problem at the moment is that as we do all our
> development on windows, we aren't sure yet if the issues we have come from
> building / configuration problems on this platform, or just lack of
> understanding of the Akonadi API. So it's not easy to ask, because we feel
> like we are a corner case :)

I can understand that this is awkward but since none of us uses Windows as the
main development plaform, any feedback from that side is extremely valuable.

> For example, running the sample code from CollectionCreateJob, we get back
> a "Cannot create top-level collection" error message. Is that normal
> behaviour, or is our Akonadi setup incorrect?

Sorry, again a matter of an example gone wrong.
Only resources are allowed to create top level collections, i.e. so each
subtree is "owned" by a resource.

Hmm, I guess the easiest way is to add a maildir resource and create
collections below its toplevel collection. The resource will then create
directories for each on disk.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring