[Kde-pim] Re: Using Akonadi

Fabian Schmidt fabian.schmidt.85 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 10 21:43:24 BST 2010

hi Tobias,

thank you for your mail. I guess you might got the gnome thing wrong. I
doubt that the gnome people will consider using akonadi for projects like
evolution, empathy or ekiga as long as akonadi is implemented with qt.

on the other subject what exactly has to be done to say make akonadi work
with the c++ libs of gnome or with python? i did not make a decision yet on
how exactly i want to implement the im as i am still researching on what i
have to to do exactly and where the other projects fit into the picture, as
for what i understood of telepathy it might be a good ideo to write like
different apps for logging accountmanging, contactmanagement and the actuall
message part and link them together

greetings
fabian

Am 10.10.2010 22:19 schrieb "Tobias König" <tokoe at kde.org>:

On Sunday 10 October 2010 19:19:22 Fabian Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
Hej Fabian,

> But any way while researching I recognised that akonadi seems to be
> tightly bound to kde.
No, the server itself is desktop angnostic and based only on Qt, which is
part
of any LSB-conform (Linux Standard Base) Linux distribution.

> In order to stay lightwight I actually wanted to have no kde bindings.
Then you have to implement the access libraries to the Akonadi server
yourself. There have been efforts to implement them in Python, but they are
more a test than a working product.

> Another thouhgt that came to mind when I saw you graphic showing the
> architecture of akonadi th...
GNOME will not include Qt, but the distributions do already, so that is no
problem at all.

> I know its lot of different points I raised but I like the idea behind
> akonadi and would really...
We as well :)
What's currently missing are glib-based bindings, which do the communication
with the Akonadi server and the de/serialization of the data into objects
that
can be used by the applications (e.g. vCard to Addresse-Object and vice
versa).

Ciao,
Tobias