[Kde-pim] Re: Using Akonadi

Fabian Schmidt fabian.schmidt.85 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 10 22:38:51 BST 2010

hi kevin,

i think i got your idea but if i got you right than the server is build with
qt, and there for if evolution uses akonadi i will need qt and gtk in order
to use evolution as the server is needed.

on that telepathy topic there i think you are right concerning the backends.
but there is still no way to apply otr in telepathy thats why i'm interested
in that, i might end up trying to find a way just to get that working in
telepathy...

greetings

Am 10.10.2010 23:20 schrieb "Kevin Krammer" <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:

On Sunday, 2010-10-10, Fabian Schmidt wrote:
> hi Tobias,
>
> thank you for your mail. I guess you ...
There could be a misunderstanding here.
Due to its service based approach there is no library dependency shared
between server and clients.
It is quite natural that GNOME applications would not link against Qt but
this
is not necessary by design.

While it is of course technically possible to reimplement server parts with
any other technology stack, I doubt that anyone would want to spend
resources
on such an endeavor, just like nobody would spend resources to reimplement
NetworkManager or Telepathy core services just because their current
implementations link with GLib/GObject.

> on the other subject what exactly has to be done to say make akonadi work
> with the c++ libs of ...
The Python library is currently just a prototype, for demonstrating that it
is
indeed possible to use Akonadi without any dependencies leaking from the
server to the clients.
As for C based GLib/GObject based code, I've started investigating Vala as a
means to do that.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring