[Kde-pim] Re: branding "Kontact"

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Nov 12 10:41:07 GMT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 11. November 2010 14:21:42 schrieb David Jarvie:
> I agree with the others that Kontact HD is bad - it's likely to give a
> misleading idea, or just come across as meaningless.

(more sillyness for the mobile "Desktop" variant)
Kontact Prime
Kontact PC (Point and Click)

> I did like Kontact Touch, but Will's comments make me wonder whether
> because we're all so familiar with the name Kontact, we don't see the name
> as others might see it. For people who know little or nothing about
> Kontact, they probably _would_ think that Touch is just a (rather odd)
> repetition of Kontact.

(back to serious again)
Yes, this is a good an strong argument against "Kontact Touch",
thanks for making it.

> It's another example of the need for a little bit of user research among
> general computer users rather than just devs and afficionados.

Anyway, we all need to feel well with it.  Otherwise we will not use it.

Am Mittwoch, 10. November 2010 17:13:58 schrieb Alexander Gretencord:
> I, as a user see Komo and think: What? What does it do? Pets aren't allowed
> in my flat.

:) I like this somehow, Komo as the little pet that brings my mail reminds me
of due appointments.

> I see "Kontact Touch" and I (kind of) know what we are talking
> about, a contact manager with a touch enabled interface.
>
> So as a general rule of thumb, I would not go with what KDE has been doing
> a lot (it's getting a lot better though!), i.e. use a name that has a K in
> it but no reference to what the program actually does in the name itself
> (even if the non-abbreviated version of the name does).

Those two arguments seem to favour a full new name. I agree that "Kontact"
is not the best name that there is, but coming up with a better one and
getting the fame of the old one at the same time is quite difficult.
I believe that keeping KDE community, old time users and the fame of Kontact
is important in the current phase of the product. And we cannot have a three
month name search. Doing a X is now Y campaign is also costly.
So my gut feeling is to stay with Kontact somehow.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.