[Kde-pim] Re: KMime bug with Message-ID with two "at" signs.

Gregory Schlomoff gregory.schlomoff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 03:40:15 GMT 2010

2010/11/29 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:

[ ... explaining the problem with Message-IDs not being parsed because
they are not valid email addresses]

>> 1. Do you agree that KMime should not return an invalid Message-ID
>> when presented with an address that contains two @ signs?
>
> Absolutely.
>

>> 2. Do you agree that the current parsing code should be modified to
>> accept this case?
>
> No. Absolutely not.
>

>> (Other option: consider Message-IDs a more relaxed
>> form of email addresses, and have a different code to parse them)
>
> Yes. See below.
>

>> 3. Do you agree that the solution would be to look backwards from the
>> end of the string for an @ sign, parse the domain from here and the
>> local part from the beginning to this point?
>
> No. Quite frankly, I see no point in parsing the Message-ID at all. We
> should simply take whatever string is between the enclosing '<' and '>'.

So, as of now, the MessageID header inherits from the SingleIdent
class, which inherits from Ident, which inherits from Address, which
inherits from Structured.

If we where to make this change and not parse Message-ID as an email
address, where should we do the change?

Option 1: Ident could derive directly from Structured, skipping Address
Option 2: Ident could derive from another class that derives from
Structured, like, I don't know, maybe Token
Option 3: Ident could derive from a new class that would derive from Structured.

Other ideas? I don't know the KMime classes well enough, so I would
appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Greg