[Kde-pim] Announcing KSmtp - A KJob-based SMTP library

Gregory Schlomoff gregory.schlomoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 03:16:41 GMT 2010

Hi guys,

As some of you may already know, we are a team of 3 developpers
working on a Qt-based email client. We are using some KDE libraries,
mostly KIMAP, KMime, and KJob, and we are very happy with them.

A few weeks ago, we started working on code that needed to interact
with an SMTP server, and we found nothing that suited our purpose in
the kde-pim libraries. We needed an asynchronous, job-based api - the
SMTP version of KIMAP, if you will - but the existing SMTP library
from KDE was synchronous.

So after discuting the topic on #akonadi, we decided to code our own
KSmtp library, following the design and the conventions of KIMAP.

The code is here: gitweb.kde.org/scratch/schlomoff/ksmtp.git

KSmtp is almost feature-complete for our needs, including tests, and
has been tested on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. In the coming months,
we will be maintaining it and commiting bugfixes, as well as adding
some features like support for OAuth-based authentication.

If you guys feel like it could be a valuable addition to the KDE-PIM
libraries, we will be glad to see it integrated in KDE. Just let us
know what the next steps are, if there are any changes needed, etc...
In all cases, any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Gregory Schlomoff
Founder, BetterInbox