[Kde-pim] Re: close the Bug 77862: kio_imap processes

Carsten Burghardt carsten at cburghardt.com
Thu Nov 11 16:01:20 GMT 2010

Zitat von Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu>:

> On 11/10/2010 12:14 PM, Guy Maurel wrote:
>> On Monday 08 November 2010 21:15:22 Torgny Nyblom wrote:

>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>>  Without taking sides here, it might be work thinking about the
>>> potential load this will create on the servers as well. They can handle
>>> quite a few clients so a small client load can trigger a big server
>>> load.
>>>
>>> /Regards
>>> Torgny
>> Thanks so much for this information.
>> In fact, at connection time the server has much work to do: reading and
>> re-indexing the mails.
>>
>> As many servers use a timeout of 30 minutes, it might be reasonable to
>> make a little change at the next release, to modify the time to the
>> next NOOP
>> from (today) 60 seconds to 10-15 minutes.
>
> What does Thunderbird do? I always get notified of mail immediately.

Thunderbird uses IDLE which is a separate story and a much better
approach then sending NOOPS. With IDLE you tell the server that you
are waiting and the server tells you when something happened. NOOP is
simply a workaround to keep the connection open as it takes quite a
bit to reopen it (you also need to login).

Carsten