[Kde-pim] Re: Frequent crashes in EntityTreeModel and other library models

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:11:26 GMT 2010

David Jarvie wrote:

> When built to use Akonadi, KAlarm very frequently crashes during its
> startup. Most of the crashes, which are individually non-reproducible,
> occur during initialisation of the Akonadi models, including
> EntityTreeModel. The majority of times, no crash dialog is displayed, so I
> can't investigate those crashes. Some crashes also occur when events are
> added or removed subsequently.
>
> I'm quite concerned that unless things improve a lot, the Akonadi version
> of KAlarm in 4.6 will be quite unstable. I've fixed various bugs in the
> KAlarm code itself, but most of the remaining crashes for which I have
> traces, like the attached one, occur at a low level inside the Akonadi
> models or kdeui models. As a result, they aren't easy to debug, and
> suggest that the fault probably lies in the library classes rather than in
> the application.
>
> I'd like to help fix these crashes, if somebody could tell me what else I
> can do to track them down.
>
> I attach a trace from the latest crash in KSelectionProxyModel /
> EntityTreeModel.

I tried KAlarm today and after adding a single collection and a single item
I get a crash on start up in the TemplateListModel.

I don't know my way around the code, and there are a lot of singletons,
which makes it hard to know where the class is actually instantiated for the
first time. That makes it hard to make a minimal test case.

If you can find a way to make minimal test cases the bugs can be fixed, but
the current KAlarm code seems very tied together to me at the moment.

All the best,

Steve.