[Kde-pim] Re: hide backends, talk about frontends not applications (branding "Kontact")

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Nov 22 10:40:24 GMT 2010

Am Freitag, 12. November 2010 13:12:43 schrieb John Layt:
> I guess the natural implementation of the Kontact rebranding would be:
>
> Kontact = kdepim as a whole
> Kontact Services = Akonadi and all related backends
> Kontact Desktop = Kontact desktop app
> Kontact Touch = The touch-enabled frontend for mobiles / tablets
> Kontact Mail = KMail
> Kontact Calendar = KOrganizer
> Kontact Contact = KAddressBook (a but awkward, perhaps Kontact People?)
> etc...
>
> Then the plasmoids that other people write, such as LionMail, can talk
> about being "powered by" or "using" Kontact or Kontact Services, and the
> users will know that they play nice with and use the same config/data as
> Kontact Desktop / Touch.

Yes, this is mainly the idea.
I am not sure if right have or want to have "KDE PIM" products that would not
like to be summarized as "Kontact" (like you did in your elaborated list
above.)

> That still doesn't solve the age-old category naming problem, i.e. Office?
>   Excludes home users.  PIM?  Who knows what that means?  Where does it
> land?

I believe renaming to be difficult and lengthy.
It could probably be a good idea, but not right now as I wrote before.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.