[Kde-pim] Re: [Announcement] KMail Bug Squashing Weekend

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 11:43:54 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 11:42:13 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 10 November 2010 10:21:53 Will Stephenson wrote:
> > What's the situation with Nepomuk indexing of mail?
> >
> > Whenever I try kmail2, with any one of my 3 IMAP accounts, indexing all
> > mails burns a lot of disk and cpu time</britishunderstatement>.  Is that
> > a known issue?
>
> IMHO the Nepomuk resource usage in combination with a lot of mail is one of
> the main remaining challenges, one for which there isn't a satisfying
> solution yet.

Are there hard architectural requirements for global mail indexing (as there
is for contact indexing to allow email address autocompletion), or is it just
to have the mail search dialog?

If not, then I would suggest limiting the default set of collections to be
indexed, and in the search dialog, indicating which folders have been indexed,
which are currently being [re]indexed, and allowing toggling indexing on other
folders.

Will