[Kde-pim] Re: hide backends, talk about frontends not applications (branding "Kontact")

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:56:16 GMT 2010

On Friday 12 Nov 2010 11:03:20 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> My suggestion would mean to not have "KMail" or "KAdressbook" anymore.
> Also no single "application" for this, but just "frontends" and "views"
> on "Kontact".

Age is truly catching up on me, but maybe that means that I also represent a
large group of users.  The kind of naming in promotion that we see now is
hugely confusing.  The truth is that Kontact is still a Personal Information
Manager, and people still need their Mail, Addressbook, Diary/Calendar and
Task List - simple terms that they understand.  Views mean nothing to me in
this context.  They are not different ways of looking at the same data.  They
are interlinked sets of data, which is quite different, in my mind at least.

Please don't get too abstract - it's not necessary.  The product is good
enough to stand on its own feet, without hype like this.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group