[Kde-pim] Re: KDE PIM and mobile device sync

Dinesh saidinesh5 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 09:23:08 GMT 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 10:09, Dinesh <saidinesh5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Great!  Yes , Currently with Syncevolution you can sync your N86's
> Calendar,
> > Contacts and Notes with KDE PIM
>
> Yes!!!!
>
> > You can get the information about the program over here:
> > http://saidinesh5.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/are-we-there-yet/
> >

> I did read that. I am not a developer, though, so I have a steep
> leraning curve and I expect to get stuck. I will try the directions
> that you mention on that page, and I will wait until after your exam
> to bug you with questions if I get stuck and cannot google my way out
> of it.

Oh not to worry, You can directly ask me any questions you have @ saidinesh5
on #akonadi-syncml on freenode anytime. And as far as trying the software
out, I suggest You wait atleast till i put up the instructions on whats
what. Otherwise it would be *A LOT*  of homework. Just a day ago,  I have
explained all the important stuff to a fellow developer (Sivan..... here???)
So expect a blog post really soon :)

> > 1)Adding support for KDE-Specific extensions: currently, the KDE specific
> > fields(Spouse, Blog ,etc...) wont sync. with anything else. they simply
> will
> > be wiped clean. This has to change.
> >

> The fact that certain fields are KDE-specific should be made explicit
> to those wishing to sync. I have been thinking about that for some
> time, I will mention something to Thomas or file an RFE on the matter.

All the KDE Specific fields are actually VCard's private extensions (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard). Adding support for them in
syncevolution shouldn't be much of a work. Once done, if the other device
doesnt support these extensions, they will be preserved during the sync.

Cheers,
Dinesh