[Kde-pim] FOSS Outlook PST convertors

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue May 25 21:47:43 BST 2010

On Tuesday, 2010-05-25, Markus wrote:
> Am Dienstag 25 Mai 2010, 11:47:19 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

> > > Um, it's the Apache License 2.0 and not some new one invented by MS.
> > > We already know its compatibility since years!
> > >
> > > AL2.0 is compatible with the GPL3
> > > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2
> >
> > > under which all KDE-hosted code is also licensed:
> > One of the common licensing forms is GPL v2+ which in this case might not
> > work because GPL v2 is not compatible with Apache v2 according to the
> > this page. So anyone wanting an "and later" style policy might have to
> > write "under GPL v3 or, at your option, any later version".
>
> No.

Well, maybe.
I still think that a client with "GPL v2 or later" might be problematic due to
the incompatibility between AL2 and GPL2.

> > True, but this has to be known up front, otherwise GPL is very likely to
> > be used as the application's licence or code under GPL being used to for
> > certain features and it becomes increasingly difficult to change this
> > when the number of people who have worked on it increases.
>
> A command line PST2KMail converter using that MS code can be either pure
> AL2 or BSD for KDE-developed code and AL2 for the MS-developed parts.

I don't get the command line part, but of course an AL2 licenced program would
be fine.
But one would almost certainly have to link the LGPL v2.1+ kdepimlib
libraries.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring