[Kde-pim] Proposal for a solution for bug 77862

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue May 11 01:22:34 BST 2010

Hi,

(Roundcube sucks at quoting)

On Monday 10 May 2010 09:34:50 kde wrote:
> On Sun, 9 May 2010 19:24:05 +0200, Thomas McGuire <mcguire at kde.org> wrote:
> > > The slave is "only" disconnected. The kio_imap process is still leaving.
> >
> > Disconnecting and then re-connecting should work, right? I don't see a
> > problem
>
> the "reconnecting" works...

Ok, good.

> > that the KIO slaves are still running when they are not connected. If
> > there are problems with the IP address, re-connecting should solve that.
>
> **THIS** is the problem is the IP-address changes.
> This a problem of IP-v4. It is well known. So as the IP-v6 got designed,
> the roaming-mechanism is introduced to solve this situation, without
> having a loose of the connection(s) with server(s).
> With IP-v4, one have to kill all part of the connection!

So doing a disconnect will completely "kill" the IPv4 connection, and that
should solve the problem, right? To me, it seems the only problem currently is
that for some reason the disconnect command doesn't arrive at the slave, which
has to be debugged.

> NO, no CMD_DISCONNECT is send.
> I put a break-point whithin gdb at the dispatch of kio_imap, and got not
> any command to disconnect...

Then start debugging at KMAcctImap::killAllJobs() on the KMail side, which
should call KIO::Scheduler::disconnectSlave(), which internally calls slave-
>send( CMD_DISCONNECT ), which should send the disconnect command over the
local socket to the IMAP KIO slave. The KIO slave then should receive that
command in SlaveBase::dispatch().

> It could be very important to check this, may be at some other place (POP3)
> to be sure, no to get a similar problem...

Yes. Maybe something you could do, after fixing the 4.4 version?

Regards,
Thomas