[Kde-pim] Breakage on upgrade to 4.4.3

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Mon May 24 06:08:47 BST 2010

You folks must be busy ironing out bugs in 4.5, but in the meantime I'd
like to get my addressbook working again.  The upgrade to 4.4.3 (Debian
Testing) broke a number of things.

I store my e-mail contacts in a VCard directory (16000+ contacts).  I
also use kbbdb (http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/57937), of which I'm
the author, to automagically add new addresses to the address book.
With the upgrade to 4.4.3, the following problems have arisen:

- kaddressbook doesn't allow me to add the VCard directory as a data
source any more.  After I select Add New Addressbook/VCard directory, it
waits for a while then barfs with the message:

  Could not add address book: Agent instance creation timed out

- Every time I open Akonadi configuration it shows me a couple more
address book sources (which I haven't added).  I delete them, then after
a few hours they're back.  http://imgur.com/De5j8.png

- I now have no clue how to add a VCard file to an address book using
DBUS.

- KMail is still completing addresses, but I have no idea where it's
getting the completion list from.  kaddressbook has no address books
configured (see first point).  There is an address book configured in
KDE Resources which seems to be the correct one, but I have no clue how
it got there and how to edit the entries in that address book.

Is it possible, as a user, to throw away Akonadi, Nepomuk and all these
other wonderful technologies and go back to the simple address book that
used to exist in KDE 3.x?  It was understandable, it used to work and it
was stable.

Traces, logs and testing available on request.

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/