[Kde-pim] [SORT-OF-SOLVED] Re: More breakage on upgrade to 4.4.3

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue May 25 10:53:36 BST 2010

On Tuesday, 2010-05-25, Raj Mathur (राज  माथुर) wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2010-05-25, Raj Mathur (राज  माथुर) wrote:
> > > In KDE 3 the command to add a an address to kaddressbook was:
> > >   dcop kaddressbook KAddressBookIface importVCard
> > >
> > > In KDE 4 up to 4.4.3 the command was:
> > >   qdbus org.kde.kaddressbook /KAddressBook \
> > >
> > >     org.kde.KAddressbook.Core.importVCard
> >
> > Another option would be to use kabcclient, though this requires the
> > migration or manual configuration of the Akonadi KResource plugin
> > for contacts.
>
> Wunderbar!  This is exactly what I need.  As I mentioned earlier, I
> don't particularly want or need to use Akonadi -- the native
> kaddressbook system suits my limited needs (look up address, add new
> contact through command line) just fine.

The point I was trying to make is that it uses the KResource API, thus has
access to storage methods available through KResource plugins.
Akonadi might be using different ones, so addresses added through kabcclient
might not show up in KAddressBook if they differ.

However there is a compatibility plugin for contacts which looks like a
KResource storage plugin to kabcclient but writes into Akonadi folders.
We call that a client side bridge.

It should work, especially for your use case, but since it is bound by the
rather limited KResource API, there can be occasional glitches when the
operations it is supposed to perform do not map very well to how Akonadi
performs their equivalent.

I do, however, plan to port kabcclient to Akonadi at some time, i.e. to make
it a native Akonadi client.
I don't expect the interface (e.g. commandline options) to change though.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring