[Kde-pim] KDE Addressbook on an Appliance

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed May 5 20:44:39 BST 2010

On Wednesday 05 May 2010, upscope wrote:
> I have to agree with you, this new product is impossible to figure
> out from the documentation.

Documentation is our weak spot. Developers are very bad at writing user
documentation. Help is very much appreciated.

> I installed KDE 4.4.2 on my openSUSE
> 11.2 system. Imported my old std.vcf file and then built a personal
> addressbook consisting of 6 sub addressbooks. After much searching I
> found a information on the Kmail Wiki that nepomuk must be running
> to update the mail lists on Kmail. I also found a thread on the KDE
> Forum about this and after much head scratching and hair pulling was
> able to get nepomuk working but I still get mysql.err errors. I
> think it has to do with the user I'm running as needing to log into
> mysql?
>
> 100505  7:35:58 [Note] Plugin 'ndbcluster' is disabled.
> 100505  7:35:58  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 32234540
> 100505  7:35:59 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table
> 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without
> them
> 100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table
> 'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
> 100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.db
> 100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.user
> 100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.event
> 100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Event Scheduler: An error occurred when
> initializing system tables.
> 100505  7:35:59 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
> Version: '5.1.36-log'  socket:
> '/home/finemanruss/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket'  port:
> 0  SUSE MySQL RPM

Try running the following command in Konsole:

  mysql_install_db --datadir=$HOME/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/

FWIW, this tip is from
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting#Table_.27mysql._servers.27_doesn.27t_exist

> akonadi console shows Nepomuk Contact Feeder OnLine, Idle
>
> My real problem now is getting a distribution list running for a
> news letter that supposed to go out May 20th. There are four group
> this newsletter must go and up to 100 users in one of the groups.
> Only way i can do it to a certain point is list each person it is
> suppoed to go to in a new Kmail message (Kmail composer) and then
> select Tools----> Save distribution list. It does save it and if I
> use Select Distribution list, it does put it in the To: field.
> Displaying the list contents shows the correct people it is to go
> to, but the ISP sends back a failure message:
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail2.nwi.net.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
> addresses.
>
> <family1a at linux-ebgz>:
> Sorry, I couldn't find any host named linux-ebgz. (#5.1.2)
>
> Note the @linux-edgz addrs to distribution list name. Never looks at
> actual people it should go to.

Yes, this is (or, more precisely, was) a known bug.

> Did find a statement the contact groups won't work until version
> 4.4.5 or later. How are we supposed to use this product (Thunderbird
> wants an LDAP server which my ISP does not support.
>
> Have you or anyone else ran into this? I know you've been involved
> in this from your emails to the list, thought you may have some
> ideas.

Will Stephenson, a fellow KDE developer and employee of Novell has fixed
the problem that distribution lists were not expanded on sending a few
days ago. I'm quite sure that the most recent packages from openSUSE
already include this fix, so you might try updating.

Oh, by the way, your questions really belong on the kdepim-users mailing
list and not on this development mailing list.

Regards,
Ingo