[Kde-pim] Does an Akonadi resource know what Collection it's handling?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed May 26 17:35:50 BST 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-05-26, David Jarvie wrote:

> There will still be the need to at least notify the user that a read-write
> calendar needs updating and therefore must now be read-only until it is
> updated.

If you use a custom task (ResourceBase::scheduleCustomTask) the resource's
internal job schedule will not pass any modifications to you until you've
completed the task.

> It would be preferable to be able to prompt the user whether to
> update it. The question is, where does the prompt come from? Presumably it
> needs to be output by the application, not by the resource (since the
> resource starts in the background).

You can create the UI just like in configure().
See also AgentBase::winIdForDialogs()

> The obvious solution is for the resource to set an attribute on the
> Collection indicating the compatibility status, and then the application
> can prompt the user and if desired, tell the resource to update the
> calendar format.

The problem I see with this approach is that multiple clients could react that
way, asking the user the same question over and over again.

Maybe let the initial information (that an upgrade is available) even be a
notification (as in KNotify notification).

Optionally add you own specialized D-Bus interface that lets application which
know about it query availability and trigger upgrades.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring