[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Needs More TIme

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue May 18 19:18:34 BST 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 18:55:02 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 17 May 2010 16:05:17 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Monday 17 May 2010 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > What is so hard about migrating config data? At least the account setup
> > > doesn't look too complicated to the naive me.
> >
> > Migrating config data is very hard. You have to deal with an awful lot of
> > details, weird setups, configs which were migrated over many years again
> > and again, and you have to get it 100% right, otherwise users will be
> > annoyed. It's also tremendously hard to test as you usually don't have
> > access to a wide variety of test configs, and developers don't notice
> > issues, as they do the migration of their own data only once.
> >
> > So this needs a lot of hardening, and a lot of attention to details. We
> > should really take the time to do it properly. Any problems with that
> > will badly reflect on Akonadi, which we really have to avoid. The
> > current opinion of Akonadi is already bad enough.
>
> Users can live with the details of setup - minor things like layouts, for
> instance - but account details - the ability to send and receive mail based
> on  the account settings already present - would be important to them.  We
> can prepare users for the need to reconfigure the lesser things, but if
> account details are lost I predict that all hell with let loose.

That's what I was thinking of. I guess most users can live if not /all/ options are
taken over by the new version. It would be really nice though, if the harder to set
up things like Identities, Signatures and Accounts and Filters could be retained --
those usually take a lot of time to set up which would influences the user's
happiness when the new KMail first starts.
--
sebas